Newton Vets Newton Vets Newton Vets Newton Vets

Chocolate Poisoning

 

Although cats and dogs like the smell and taste of chocolate, your pet is at great risk if they eat it. It contains a substance called Theobromide which our pets cannot break down, so it acts as a poison. If enough is eaten, it can prove fatal.

The lethal dosage is 7g of dark / baking chocolate per kg or 60g milk chocolate per kg weight.

Even if everything seems ok initially, it is important to phone us for advice as it maybe necessary to make an appointment to induce vomiting or start treatment.

Symptoms of chocolate poisoning can include:

  1. Vomiting
  2. Diarrhoea
  3. Acting unsettled
  4. Drinking & Vomiting more

If left untreated it may progress to seizures and heart problems. A good excuse to keep that yummy chocolate all to yourself!